On Mon, Sep 18, 2006 at 03:29:49PM -0400, Jonathan Edwards wrote:

> err .. i believe the point is that you will have multiple disks
> claiming to be the same disk which can wreak havoc on a system (eg:
> I've got a 4 disk pool with a unique GUID and 8 disks claiming to be
> part of that same pool) - it's the same problem on VxVM with storing
> the identifier in the private region on the disks - when you do bit
> level replication it's always blind to the upper-level, host-based,
> logical volume groupings .. if this is the case - you're probably
> best using the latest leadville patch (119130 or 119131) and
> maintaining blacklists for what should be seen by the system.  You
> can also zone the BCVs or SI copies on the controller port to prevent
> name collisions, but if you can't modify the portlist (eg: EMC bin
> file changes) then the host based blacklist is going to be the way to
> go.

I don't understand how this changes my explanation at all.  If you have
multiple disks 'claiming to be the same disk', does this mean that they
actually show up as the same /dev/dsk/* path depening on blind luck?  If
so, that's well below the level of ZFS.  If they show up as different
paths and/or devids, then ZFS will behave exactly as I described and you
will be perfectly safe - you just won't be able to import the pool from
the mirrored devices.

- Eric

--
Eric Schrock, Solaris Kernel Development       http://blogs.sun.com/eschrock