I have set up a Solaris 10 U2 06/06 system that has basic patches to the latest
-19 kernel patch and latest zfs genesis etc as recommended.  I have set up a
basic pool (local) and a bunch of sub-pools (local/mail, local/mail/shire.net,
local/mail/shire.net/o, local/jailextras/shire.net/irsfl, etc). I am exporting
these with [EMAIL PROTECTED],[EMAIL PROTECTED] and then mounting a few of these
pools on a FreeBSD system using nfsv3.

The FreeBSD has about 4 of my 10 or so subpools mounted.  2 are email imap
account tests, 1 is generic storage, and one is a FreeBSD jail root.  FreeBSD
mounts them with using TCP

/sbin/mount_nfs -s -i -3 -T foo-i1:/local/mail/shire.net/o/obar
/local/2/hobbiton/local/mail/shire.net/o/obar

The systems are both directly connected to a gigabit switch using 1000btx-fdx
and both have an MTU set at 9000.  The Solaris side is an e1000g port (the
system has 2 bge and 2 e1000g ports all configured) and the FreeBSD is a bge
port.

etc.

I have heard that there are some ZFS/NFS sync performance problems etc that
will be fixed in U3 or are fixed in OpenSolaris.  I do not think my issue is
related to that.  I have also seen some of that with sometimes having pisspoor
performance on writing.

I have experienced the following issue several times since I started
experimenting with this a few days ago.  I periodically will get NFS server not
responding errors on the FreeBSD machine for one of the mounted pools, and it
will last 4-8 minutes or so and then come alive again and be fine for many
hours.  When this happens, access to the other mounted pools still works fine
and logged directly in to the Solaris machine I am able to access the file
systems (pools) just fine.

Example error message:

Sep 24 03:09:44 freebsdclient kernel: nfs server
solzfs-i1:/local/jailextras/shire.net/irsfl: not responding
Sep 24 03:10:15 freebsdclient kernel: nfs server
solzfs-i1:/local/jailextras/shire.net/irsfl: not responding
Sep 24 03:12:19 freebsdclient last message repeated 4 times
Sep 24 03:14:54 freebsdclient last message repeated 5 times

I would be interested in getting feedback on what might be the problem and also
ways to track this down etc.  Is this a know issue?  Have others seen the nfs
server sharing ZFS time  out  (but not for all pools)?  Etc.

Is there any functional difference with setting up the ZFS pools as legacy
mounts and using a traditional share command to share them over nfs?

I am mostly a Solaris noob and am happy to learn and can try anything people
want me to test.

Thanks in advance for any comments or help.
thanks
Chad