Thank you Bill for your clear description.

Now I have to find a way to justify myself with my head office that after
spending  100k+ in hw and migrating to "the most advanced OS" we are running
about 8 time slower :)

Anyway I have a problem much more serious than rsync process speed. I hope
you'll help me solving it out!

Our situation:

/data/a
/data/b
/data/zones/ZONEX    (whole root zone)

As you know I have a process running "rsync -ax /data/a/* /data/b" for about
14hrs.
The problem is that, while that rsync process is running, ZONEX is completely
unusable because of the rsync I/O load.
Even if we're using FSS, Solaris seems unable to give a small amount of I/O
resource to ZONEX's activity ...

I know that FSS  doesn't deal with I/O but I think Solaris should be smarter ..

To draw a comparison, FreeBSD Jail doesn't suffer from this problem ...

thank,
Gino