Hey,

I did a similar test a couple of months ago, albeit on a smaller system,
and 'only' 10,000 users. I saw a similar delay at boot time, but also
saw a large amount of memory utilisation.

I didn't notice the major memory usage, but the box had no other use,
than to mount these mass of empty file systems. But I might've missed
it, the I/O to mount them was HEAVY!

Around the same time, Casper Dik mentioned the possibility of
automounting zfs datasets, as well as the possibility of cool stuff like
*creating* zfs datasets with the automounter.

I suppose i could do that, but that feels a bit icky, sorry for the
lack of eloquent wording, but that's pretty much how it'd feel, i
suppose, one could create /data/sub/ and tell it not to mount the sub
piece, and create the automounter to control the sub piece. ( and any
file systems sub that )

One thing that hasn't been touched on is how one would back up a system
when some (or most) filesystems are unmounted most of the time.

Well technically, as far as i understand it, surely when the backup
software accessed the device, it'd mount it, so as it went along, it'd
mount the filesystems, and then for the `zfs send` thing, technically,
that should be possible without the filesystem being mounted, same
with snapshots, although i'd shudder to think what a snapshot per
filesystem for backup would be like.

But that said, i've got another quesiton, is it possible to
recursively send a pool ? ( with zfs send ? )

Is is possible to make a backup and/or take a snapshot of an unmounted
dataset (and if not, is that a future possibility)?

I believe it's possible to snapshot unmounted devices, as well as zfs
send them, but i could be wrong, although i really don't think that it
should make that much of a difference.

As far as i remember, ZFS snapshot/send/etc... access the device, not
the filesystem.

Patrick