On Tue, Oct 03, 2006 at 10:23:29AM -0500, Keith Clay wrote:
> Folks,
>
> If I have a mirrored configuration, I can add hot spares to the pool
> and if a mirror should fail, zfs will automatically replace the
> failed drive with one of the hot spares.  Is this correct?

Yes, that is correct.  However, ZFS currently only detects total drive
unavailability as 'failure'.  It does not recognize arbitrarily
misbehaving drives, nor does it recognize drivers which maintain an
openable device node, but fail all I/O requests.  We plan to provide
such higher level diagnosis (combined with SMART data and hotplug
events, too) in the near future.

- Eric

--
Eric Schrock, Solaris Kernel Development       http://blogs.sun.com/eschrock