On Oct 8, 2006, at 21:40, Wee Yeh Tan wrote:

On 10/7/06, Ben Gollmer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Oct 6, 2006, at 6:15 PM, Nicolas Williams wrote:
> What I'm saying is that I'd like to be able to keep multiple
> versions of
> my files without "echo *" or "ls" showing them to me by default.

Hmm, what about file.txt -> ._file.txt.1, ._file.txt.2, etc? If you
don't like the _ you could use @ or some other character.

You missed Nicolas's point.

It does not matter which delimiter you use.  I still want my "for i in
*; do ..." to work as per now.

We want to differentiate files that are created intentionally from
those that are just versions.  If files starts showing up on their
own, a lot of my scripts will break.  Still, an FV-aware
shell/program/API can accept an environment setting that may quiesce
the version output. E.g. "export show-version=off/on".

if we're talking implementation - i think it would make more sense to
store the block version differences in the base dnode itself rather than
creating new dnode structures to handle the different versions.  You'd
then structure different tools or flags to handle the versions (copy them to a new file/dnode, etc) - standard or existing tools don't need to know
about the underlying versions.

.je