On Fri, Oct 06, 2006 at 02:08:34PM -0700, Erik Trimble wrote:
> Also, "save-early-save-often"  results in a version explosion, as does
> auto-save in the app.  While this may indeed mean that you have all of
> your changes around, figuring out which version has them can be
> massively time-consuming.  Let's say you have auto-save set for 5
> minutes (very common in MS Word). That gives you 12 versions per hour.
> If you suddenly decide you want to back up a couple of hours, that
> leaves you with looking at a whole bunch of files, trying to figure out
> which one you want.  E.g. I want a file from about 3 hours ago. Do I
> want the one from 2:45, 2:50, 2:55, 3:00, 3:05, 3:10, or 3:15 hours
> ago?  And, what if I've mis-remembered, and it really was closer to 4
> hours ago?  Yes, the data is eventually there. However, wouldn't a
> 1-hour snapshot capability have saved you an enormous amount of time, by
> being able to simplify your search (and, yes, you won't have _exactly_
> the version you want, but odds are you will have something close, and
> you can put all the time you would have spent searching the FV tree into
> restarting work from the snapshot-ed version).

Erik,

versioning could be managed by sort of versioning policy managed by
users. E.g. if a file, which is going to be saved right now (auto-saving),
has a previous version saved within last 30 minuts, don't create another
"previous" version.
10:00 open      file f.xls
10:10                           (...working...)
10:20           file.xls;1      (...auto save ...)
10:30                           (...working...)
10:40                           (...auto save ...) -    don't create another
                                                        version because within
                                                        last 30 minuts there is
                                                        another, previous
version

Another policy might be based on number of previous version: e.g. if there
are more then 10, purge the older.

> [...]
>

> To me, FV is/was very useful in TOPS-20 and VMS, where you were looking
> at a system DESIGNED with the idea in mind, already have a user base
> trained to use and expect it, and virtually all usage was local (i.e. no
> network filesharing). None of this is true in the UNIX/POSIX world.

Versioning could be turned off per filesystem. And also could be
inherited from a parent - exactly like current compression.

przemol