Siegfried Nikolaivich wrote:
status: The pool metadata is corrupted and the pool cannot be
opened.

Is there at least a way to determine what caused this error?  Is it a
hardware issue?  Is it a possible defect in ZFS?

My best guess would be that it's a hardware issue.

I don't think it's a hardware issue because it seems to be still
working fine, and has been for months.

"Working fine", except that you can't access your pool, right? :-)

We might be able to figure out more exactly what went wrong if you can send the output of:

zpool status -x
zdb -v tank
  (which might not work)
zdb -l /dev/dsk/c0t1d0
zdb -l /dev/dsk/... (for each of the other devices in the pool)

--matt