On 10/12/06, John Sonnenschein <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
well, it's an SiS 960 board, and it appears my only option to turn off probing
of the drives is to enable RAID mode (which makes them inacessable by the OS)

I think the option is in the standard CMOS setup section, and allows you
to set the disk geometry, translation, etc.  There should be options for each
disk, something like: auto detect/manual/not present.  Hopefully your BIOS
has a similar setting.

what would be my next (cheapest) option, a proper SATA add-in card? I've heard
good things about the silicon image 3132 based cards, but I'm not sure if
they'll still leave my BIOS in the same position if i run the drives in ATA mode

The best supported card is the Supermicro AOC-SAT2-MV8.  Drivers are
also present for the SiI 3132/3124 based cards in the SATA framework,
but they haven't been updated in a while, and don't support NCQ yet.

Either way, unless you are using a recent nevada build, any controller
will only run in compatibility mode.

Chris