still more below...

Frank Cusack wrote:
On October 17, 2006 1:45:45 PM -0700 Richard Elling - PAE <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Ah, more terminology below...

Daniel Rock wrote:
I still haven't found the document which states that hot-plugging of
disks is not supported by Solaris.

The operational definition of "hot pluggable" is:
    The ability to add or remove a system component while the
    system remains powered up, and without inducing any hardware
    errors.

    This does not imply anything about whether the component is
    automatically integrated into or detached from some higher
    level environment for use, nor that such an environment is
    necessarily suspended during the operation (although it may
    be.)  For example, a hot pluggable processor/memory card may
    be added to a system without the need to power the chassis
    down and then back up.  However, that does not mean it will
    be automatically utilized by the operating system using that
    chassis.

So one can normally assume that advertized hot-plugging of a Sun
hardware is also supported on a Sun operating system - better not.

All SATA drives are hot-pluggable.

No, not by that definition.  If you start with 2 drives, remove one,
it is no longer available to the system even when replaced.  Similarly,
if you boot with only 1 drive present, the 2nd drive will never be
recognized even when "hot-plugged" later.

Disagree.
We have been providing hot swap and hot plug computer systems for many
years.  For the most part, the documentation follows the definitions
I've provided.

There is no software component pertaining to hot-pluggable, so there

I would say there is, based on your definition of hot-pluggable, since
Windows supports it and Solaris doesn't.  Under Solaris, a drive cannot
be added.  I don't mean automatically, I mean at all.

I think I confused you here.  See below.

is indeed an error on the page describing hot-pluggable as being a
Windows-only feature.

Perhaps you are looking for "hot-swappable" for which the operational
definition is:
    The ability of a component to be added or removed from a system
    without interrupting the normal operation of the system.

I hope for Sun's sake that you don't represent them in this matter.  At
best, you are justifying deceptive advertising.

Typically, the hot-swap components are:
        + power supplies
        + fans

Typically, the hot-plug components are:
        + CPU/memory boards
        + disks

Where most people get confused is the expectation that a hot-plug
device works like a hot-swap device.  Sometimes they do, sometimes
they require an interruption.

Back to the NVidia comments, NVidia implements NVraid on the controllers
used for the X2100 and X2200.  There is a driver to interface with NVraid
for Windows, but not for Solaris.  For Solaris, you would disable NVraid
and use the disks directly if you want to enable recovery from hot-plug
events.  In this case, it should work the same as a SCSI device, in as
much as the device drivers support dynamic reconfiguration.

I suspect that this is the source of the release notes confusion --
whoever wrote the release note does fully describe the situation in a manner
consistent with other Sun products.
CR 6483250 X2100 release notes inconsistent with Sun terminology, confuses
customers

 -- richard