On Oct 24, 2006, at 4:56 AM, Michel Kintz wrote:

It is not always a matter of more redundancy.
In my customer's case, they have storage in 2 different rooms of their datacenter and want to mirror from one storage unit in one room to the other. So having in this case a combination of RAID-Z + Mirror makes sense in my mind .... or ?

It /does/ make sense. Having a geographically diverse storage scenario like this is good, but changes the rules a bit, and in a way that you can't fully take advantage of by using only soft RAID such as ZFS or SVM. The missing link as you point out is the missing ability to mirror (within the ZFS) a RAIDZ vdev.

To get around this, I just use hardware RAID5 on my separate arrays and use either ZFS or SVM mirroring between the two on the hosts. I have thought about this over the past several months, and believe that it's probably better this way rather doing it all in ZFS or SVM.

/dale