Matt -

The 'zpool status -v' output is guaranteed to be exactly the same as
what ZFS sees.

The only exception to this is if you run the command as a non-root user,
and the device paths have changed, then the path names may be incorrect.
Running it once as root will correctly update the paths.

You can also try running 'zdb -C', which will dump the cached nvlist
configuration of the pool, but it is not guaranteed to be correct,
unlike the 'zpool status -v' output.

If you think there is a bug in zpool(1m), then you can also run 'mdb -k'
and run '::spa -v' to show all pools and their configurations.

Hope that helps,

- Eric