I have reported similar issues with ZFS taking most of my 2G in one system and 3G in another. I have been told to add a swap partition which I normally do not do. It mostly has cleared up the problem however I am still bugged by needing to do that in the first place. ZFS memory management seems like it needs a bit of work still.

Hmm, I cannot find the thread in the zfs-discuss archives, the subject was "zfs sucking down my memory".

 --joe

Jürgen Keil wrote:
ZFS 11.0 on Solaris release 06/06, hangs systems when
trying to copy files from my VXFS 4.1 file system.
any ideas what this problem could be?.

What kind of system is that?  How much memory is installed?

I'm able to hang an Ultra 60 with 256 MByte of main memory,
simply by writing big files to a ZFS filesystem.  The problem
happens with both Solaris 10 6/2006 and Solaris Express snv_48.

In my case there seems to be a problem with ZFS' ARC cache,
which is not returning memory to the kernel, when free memory
gets low.  Instead, ZFS' ARC cache data structures keeps growing
until the machine is running out of kernel memory.  At this point
the machine hangs, lots of kernel threads are waiting for free memory,
and the box must be power cycled (Well, unpluging and re-connecting
the type 5 keyboard works and gets me to the OBP, where I can force
a system crashdump and reboot).