Robert Milkowski wrote:
REP> P.S. did you upgrade the OS?  I'd consider the need for 'zpool upgrade' to
be
REP> a bug.

on one thumper I reinstalled OS to S10U3 beta and imported default
pool. On another I put snv_49 and imported pool. Then I destroyed
pools and I'm experimenting with different configurations.

ah, ok.

I almost completely agree with your points 1-5, except that I think
that having at least one hot spare by default would be better than
having none at all - especially with SATA drives.

Yes, I pushed for it, but didn't win.

I'll probably go with a config similar to default pool but with 2 hot
spares.

I heartily recommend hot spares.

ps. and you (Sun) haven't configured hot spare as Thumper so far comes
with U2 and there are no hot spares in U2 (and for strange reason
thumper also comes with U1 - at least it's in GRUB
menu I haven't tried to boot it - will try with another Thumper).

That isn't really surprising.  New hardware tends to drive features into
the OS.  When the two are releasing at different rates, then you get into
some bootstrapping issues.  Once we release U3 (aka Solaris 10 11/06) then
we can cutover to that in the factory (can't release GA hardware with non-GA
software) and soon the both with be in proper sync.
 -- richard