Thanks for Anton, Robert and Mark's replies. Your answer verified my observation, ;-) .

The reason that I want to use up the inode is we need to test the behaviors in the case of both block and inode are used up. If only fill up the block, creating an empty file still succeeds.

Thanks,

Anton B. Rang wrote:
A UFS file system has a fixed number of inodes, set when the file system is
created. df can simply report how many of those have been used, and how many
are free.

Most file systems, including ZFS and QFS, allocate inodes dynamically. In this
case, there really isn’t a “number of files free” that df can report. The best
that we can do is to “guess” how many files you might be able to create, but
this will differ depending on file size, and may change depending on other I/O
activity, since the available free space is used not only for inodes, but for
other data or metadata on the file system.

What are you trying to do based on this number? If you are simply trying to
determine whether it should be possible to create a given number of files, for
instance to preflight a copy operation, you could use the df/stat() result as a
hint, though it may not be accurate.

John Cui
x82195