On November 15, 2006 4:40:36 PM +0000 Mattias EngdegÄrd <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
listman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

What's the average size of your files? Do you have many file
deletions/moves going on? I'm not that familiar with how Perforce
handles moving files around.

average size of my files seems to be around 4k, there can be
thousands of files being moved at times..

If the original question was for a Perforce server, not a client, then
what kind of files stored in the repository should not matter.
If I recall correctly, Perforce uses a database and not a profusion of
small files so XFS should do quite well here (and probably ZFS too).

There are 3 components to p4 performance.

1. branching complexity (addressed with raw cpu power)
2. database performance (addressed with RAM)
3. file xfer performance ("asynchronous" wrt db updates as long as the
  db is on a different disk from the files, so doesn't affect concurrency
  but if lots of files are xferd to clients they may complain it's slow
  if the disk subsystem is especially slow).  in any event this is
  generally the least important aspect of p4 performance.

This is why I challenged the question originally.

-frank