On Tue, Nov 28, 2006 at 10:48:46PM -0500, Toby Thain wrote:

> Her original configuration wasn't redundant, so she should expect
> this kind of manual recovery from time to time. Seems a logical
> conclusion to me? Or is this one of those once-in-a-lifetime strikes?

That's not an entirely true statement.  Her configuration is redundant
from a traditional disk subsystem point of view.  I think the problem
here is that the old disk subsystem mindsets no longer apply with the
way something like ZFS works.  This is going to be the largest stumbling
block of all of them I believe, not anything technical.

If I had the money and time, I'd build a hardware RAID controller that
could do ZFS natively.  It would be dead simple (*I* think anyway) to make
it transparent to the ZFS layer.  ;)

-brian