So there is no current way to specify the creation of a 3 disk raid-z
array with a known missing disk?

On 12/5/06, David Bustos <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Quoth Thomas Garner on Thu, Nov 30, 2006 at 06:41:15PM -0500:
> I currently have a 400GB disk that is full of data on a linux system.
> If I buy 2 more disks and put them into a raid-z'ed zfs under solaris,
> is there a generally accepted way to build an degraded array with the
> 2 disks, copy the data to the new filesystem, and then move the
> original disk to complete the array?

No, because we currently can't add disks to a raidz array.  You could
create a mirror instead and then add in the other disk to make
a three-way mirror, though.

Even doing that would be dicey if you only have a single machine,
though, since Solaris can't natively read the popular Linux filesystems.
I believe there is freeware to do it, but nothing supported.

David