For my latest test I set up a stripe of two mirrors with one hot spare
like so:

zpool create -f -m /export/zmir zmir mirror c0t0d0 c3t2d0 mirror c3t3d0 c3t4d0
spare c3t1d0

I spun down c3t2d0 and c3t4d0 simultaneously, and while the system kept
running (my tar over NFS barely hiccuped), the zpool command hung again.

I rebooted the machine with -dnq, and although the system didn't come up
the first time, it did after a fsck and a second reboot.

However, once again the hot spare isn't getting used:

# zpool status -v
  pool: zmir
 state: DEGRADED
status: One or more devices could not be opened.  Sufficient replicas exist for
  the pool to continue functioning in a degraded state.
action: Attach the missing device and online it using 'zpool online'.
   see: http://www.sun.com/msg/ZFS-8000-D3
 scrub: resilver completed with 0 errors on Tue Dec 12 09:15:49 2006
config:

  NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
  zmir        DEGRADED     0     0     0
    mirror    DEGRADED     0     0     0
      c0t0d0  ONLINE       0     0     0
      c3t2d0  UNAVAIL      0     0     0  cannot open
    mirror    DEGRADED     0     0     0
      c3t3d0  ONLINE       0     0     0
      c3t4d0  UNAVAIL      0     0     0  cannot open
  spares
    c3t1d0    AVAIL

A few questions:

- I know I can attach it via the zpool commands, but is there a way to
kickstart the attachment process if it fails to attach automatically upon
disk failure?

- In this instance the spare is twice as big as the other
drives -- does that make a difference?

- Is there something inherent to an old SCSI bus that causes spun-
down drives to hang the system in some way, even if it's just hanging
the zpool/zfs system calls? Would a thumper be more resilient to this?

Jim