Bill Sommerfeld wrote:
On Tue, 2006-12-12 at 22:49 -0800, Patrick P Korsnick wrote:
i have a machine with a disk that has some sort of defect and i've
found that if i partition only half of the disk that the machine will
still work.  i tried to use 'format' to scan the disk and find the bad
blocks, but it didn't work.

So, Richard Elling will likely have data but I have anecdotes:

I have some data, but without knowing more about the disk, it is
difficult to say where to do.  In some cases a "low level format"
will clear up some errors for a little while for some drives.

I've seen two cases of disk failure where errors only occurred during
random I/O; all blocks were readable sequentially; in both cases, this
permitted the disk to be replaced without data loss and without
resorting to backups by doing a "dd" bit image copy to the replacement
drive.

ouch!  This is a new one for my list.  I suspect a firmware bug.
Note: firmware/software bugs are not considered for general MTBF
calculations -- we assume that the wear-out mechanisms are mechanical.
Software doesn't wear out.

Dunno how much you value your time or the data which will be stored on
this machine but my reflex would be to replace the disk rather than
spend a lot of time working around its failings.

Yep, the cost of a drive is often much less than the time and
aggravation involved in repairing one.  I know I've spent way too
many hours poking-and-hoping :-)
 -- richard