That sounds like a really good idea. If you trust your high-end arrays (EMC, Engenio, HDS, Sun, etc.), I would think that a pool- level don't-fsync-ZIL would be very beneficial.

As stated in the article, doing this on a storage solution without battery backed cache is a very bad idea. However, for large(er) environments, I believe we'll see this request more-and-more.

I wonder what sort of performance change this would have for those encountering NFS/ZFS performance issues? If you're using intelligent arrays with NFS, I would think it could have a big impact.