On Mon, Dec 18, 2006 at 06:46:09PM -0500, Jeffrey Hutzelman wrote:

> On Monday, December 18, 2006 05:16:28 PM -0600 Nicolas Williams
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >Or an iovec-style specification.  But really, how often will one prefer
> >this to truncate-and-bleach?  Also, the to-be-bleached octet ranges may
> >not be meaningful in snapshots/clones.  Hmmm.  That convinces me:
> >truncate-and-bleach or bleach-and-zero, but not bleach individual octet
> >ranges.
>
> Well, consider a file with some structure, like a berkeley db database.
> The application may well want to bleach each record as it is deleted.

My point is those byte ranges might differe from one version of that
file to another.  Bleaching byte ranges could only affect the current
FS, not any snapshots/clones.  (Of course, if we decide that snapshots
are so read-only that we can't provide a bleach facility that bleaches
across snapshots, then that's fine.)