On Dec 19, 2006, at 7:14 AM, Mike Seda wrote:

Anton B. Rang wrote:
I have a Sun SE 3511 array with 5 x 500 GB SATA-I disks in a RAID 5. This 2 TB logical drive is partitioned into 10 x 200GB slices. I gave 4 of these slices to a Solaris 10 U2 machine and added each of them to a concat (non-raid) zpool as listed below:

This is certainly a supportable configuration. However, it's not an optimal one.

What would be the optimal configuration that you recommend?

If you don't need ZFS redundancy, I would recommend taking a single "slice" for your ZFS file system (e.g. 6 x 200 GB for other file systems, and 1 x 800 GB for the ZFS pool). There would still be contention between the various file systems, but at least ZFS would be working with a single contiguous block of space on the array.

Because of the implicit striping in ZFS, what you have right now is analogous to taking a single disk, partitioning it into several partitions, then striping across those partitions -- it works, you can use all of the space, but there's a rearrangement which means that logically contiguous blocks on disk are no longer physically contiguous, hurting performance substantially.

Yes, I am worried about the lack of redundancy. And, I have some new disks on order, at least one of which will be a hot spare.

Glad to hear it.

Anton