james hughes wrote:
Not to add a cold blanket to this...

This would be mostly a "vanity erase" not really a serious "security erase" since it will not over write the remnants of remapped sectors.

Indeed and as you said there is other software to deal with this for those types of customers that need that. There are also physical destruction methods as well.

This is intended as a defense in depth measure and also a sufficiently good measure for the customers that don't need full compliance with NIST like requirements that need degausing or physical destruction.

It is intended to make customers more comfortable about handing disks back to their vendor.

Today we need to manually run format(1M)'s analyze/purge for that.

Are you saying that you don't think this is sufficiently useful that we should implement this in ZFS or are you just pointing out that for a some security policies this is not enough ?

--
Darren J Moffat