Pawel Jakub Dawidek writes:
> > The goal is the same as the goal for things like compression in ZFS, no
> > application change it is "free" for the applications.
>
> I like the idea, I really do, but it will be soooo expensive because of
> ZFS' COW model. Not only file removal or truncation will call bleaching,
> but every single file system modification... Heh, well, if privacy of
> your data is important enough, you probably don't care too much about
> performance. I for one would prefer encryption, which may turns out to be
> much faster than bleaching and also more secure.

I think the idea here is that since ZFS encourages the use of lots of
small file systems (rather than one or two very big ones), you'd have
just one or two very small file systems with crucial data marked as
needing bleach, while the others would get by with the usual
complement of detergent and switch fabric softener.

Having _every_ file modification result in dozens of I/Os would
probably be bad, but perhaps not if it's not _every_ modification
that's affected.

--
James Carlson, KISS Network                    <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>