Hello !

I have come across some weirdness, i would like to understand.

it`s not an issue, but i`m just wondering about.

i created two zfs filesystems based on image-files used as devices  - i.e. i
created them on top of two empty files, exactly the same size.

then i enabled compression on one of them (zfs set compression=on compressedzfs)

after copying a large file to both filesystems, i unmounted them, exported them
and did a gzip on those zfs imagefiles.

after gzipping, the imagefile with compression=on is nearly twice as big as the
imagefile with compression=off.

this is something i wouldn`t have expected.

ok, i didn`t expect the same size, but i never would have expected such BIG
difference, since we are basically re-compressing data which is already
compressed.

what`s causing this effect?
can someone probably explain this ?

regards