Darren J Moffat wrote:

Of course. I didn't mention it because I thought it was obvious but this would NOT break the COW or the transactional integrity of ZFS.

One of the possible ways that the "to be bleached" blocks are dealt with in the face of a crash is just like everything else - they would be in the ZFS Intent Log as "things to do".

Do NIST and other specifications that come into play here dictate
what should be done in these and other situations?

Do they say how this feature must be provided or in which situations
it is required to be covered in order to meet their criteria?

Or do they just document overwrite patterns, depending on the
security of the information?

Darren