On Wed, 3 Jan 2007, Darren Dunham wrote:

We have some HDS storage that isn't supported by mpxio, so we have to
use veritas dmp to get multipathing.

Whats the recommended way to use DMP storage with ZFS. I want to use
DMP but get at the multipathed virtual luns at as low a level as
possible to avoid using vxvm as much as possible.

I think that means creating a VxVM volume, and then passing that volume
to zpool.  DMP doesn't hand you a "device" that you can use.

It does - but you cannot use it. The /dev/vx/dmp/ devices aren't working properly, synchronization isn't done within DMP but within VxVM. There's a Veritas advisory and a SunAlert about _not_ putting filesystems directly onto vxdmp devices because that causes data corruption on the buf(9S) linkage fields and subsequent crashes/hangs. If you have access to sunsolve.sun.com, see SunAlert 55980, or bug 4789779.

I figure theres no point in having overhead from 2 volume manages if
we can avoid it.

Sure.  I don't see an alternative for using DMP.  Given other reports of
using ZFS on top of SVM metadevices, I wouldn't expect peformance to
drop significantly.

As said, should work, a plain vxvm volume on top of the vxdmp node, then give that vxvm volume to ZFS.

FrankH.

Good luck.

--
Darren Dunham                                           [EMAIL PROTECTED]