> It's the block checksum that requires reading all of the disks.  If
> ZFS stored sub-block checksums for the RAID-Z case then short reads
> could often be satisfied without reading the whole block (and all
> disks).

What happens when a sub-block is missing (single disk failure)?  Surely
it doesn't have to discard the entire checksum and simply trust the
remaining blocks?

Also, even if it could read the data from a subset of the disks, isn't
it a feature that every read is also verifying the parity for
correctness/silent corruption?  I'm assuming that any "short-read"
optimization wouldn't be able to perform that check.

--
Darren Dunham                                           [EMAIL PROTECTED]