Darren Dunham wrote:
Is the problem of displaying the potential space freed by multiple
destructions one of calculation (do you have to walk snapshot trees?) or
one of formatting and display?

Both, because you need to know for each snapshot, how much of the data it references was first referenced in each previous snapshot. Displaying these O(Nsnapshots ^ 2) data points is nontrivial.

As I mentioned, you need only wait until 'zfs destroy' finishes to see the updated accounting from 'zfs list'.

So if reaching a hard target was necessary, we could just delete
snapshots in age order, checking space after each, until the target
space became available.  But there would be no way to see beforehand how
many that would be, or if it was worth starting the process if some
snapshots are special and not available for deletion.

That's correct.

--matt