> It's just a common sense advise - for many users keeping raidz groups
> below 9 disks should give good enough performance. However if someone
> creates raidz group of 48 disks he/she probable expects also
> performance and in general raid-z wouldn't offer one.

There is at least one reason for wanting more drives in the same
raidz/raid5/etc: redundancy.

Suppose you have 18 drives. Having two raidz:s constisting of 9 drives is
going to mean you are more likaly to fail than having a single raidz2
consisting of 18 drives, since in the former case yes - two drives can go
down, but only if they are the *right* two drives. In the latter case any two
drives can go down.

The ZFS administration guide mentions this recommendation, but does not give
any hint as to why. A reader may assume/believe it's just general adviced,
based on someone's opinion that with more than 9 drives, the statistical
probability of failure is too high for raidz (or raid5). It's a shame the
statement in the guide is not further qualified to actually explain that
there is a concrete issue at play.

(I haven't looked into the archives to find the previously mentioned
discussion.)

PGP userID: 0xE9758B7D or 'Peter Schuller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>'
Key retrieval: Send an E-Mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED] Web: http://www.scode.org