> What hardware is used?  Sparc? x86 32-bit? x86
> 64-bit?
> How much RAM is installed?
> Which version of the OS?

Sorry, this is happening on two systems (test and production). They're both
Solaris 10, Update 2. Test is a V880 with 8 CPU's and 32GB, production is an
E2900 with 12 dual-core CPU's and 48GB.

> Did you already try to monitor kernel memory usage,
> while writing to zfs?  Maybe the kernel is running
> out of
> free memory?  (I've bugs like 6483887 in mind,
> "without direct management, arc ghost lists can run
> amok")

We haven't seen serious kernel memory usage that I know of (I'll be honest--I
came into this problem late).

> For a live system:
>
>     echo ::kmastat | mdb -k
> echo ::memstat | mdb -k

I can try this if the DBA group is willing to do another test, thanks.

> In case you've got a crash dump for the hung system,
> you
> can try the same ::kmastat and ::memstat commands
> using the
> kernel crash dumps saved in directory
> /var/crash/`hostname`
>
>     # cd /var/crash/`hostname`
> # mdb -k unix.1 vmcore.1
>     ::memstat
> ::kmastat

The system doesn't actually crash. It also doesn't freeze _completely_. While I
call it a freeze (best name for it), it actually just slows down incredibly.
It's like the whole system bogs down like molasses in January. Things happen,
but very slowly.

Rainer