Albert Chin wrote:
On Mon, Jan 15, 2007 at 10:55:23AM -0600, Albert Chin wrote:

I have no hands-on experience with ZFS but have a question. If the
file server running ZFS exports the ZFS file system via NFS to
clients, based on previous messages on this list, it is not possible
for an NFS client to mount this NFS-exported ZFS file system on
multiple directories on the NFS client.

At least, I thought I read this somewhere. Is the above possible? I
don't see why it should not be.

Yes, you can mount multiple *filesystems* via NFS. Feel to try it out. Here's an example (fsh-weakfish is client, fsh-hake is server):
fsh-weakfish# showmount -e fsh-hake
export list for fsh-hake:
/monkey            (everyone)
/monkey/ape        (everyone)
/monkey/ape/banana (everyone)
fsh-weakfish# mount fsh-hake:/monkey /mnt
fsh-weakfish#
fsh-weakfish# mount fsh-hake:/monkey/ape /mnt2
fsh-weakfish#

Perhaps you are referring to the inability to automatically mount a filesystem? Such that if i mount "/monkey/ape" onto "/mnt", i cannot 'cd' into "/mnt" and see the contents of a filesystem below "/monkey/ape".

fsh-weakfish# ls /mnt2
banana
fsh-weakfish# ls /mnt2/banana
fsh-weakfish#

This is known as "mirror mounting" and is actively being worked on by the NFS folks.

eric