Mike,

I think you are missing the point.  What we are talking about is
removing a drive from a zpool, that is, reducing the zpool's total
capacity by a drive.   Say you have 4 drives of 100GB in size,
configured in a striped mirror, capacity of 200GB usable.  We're
discussing the case where if the zpool's total used space is under
100GB, we could remove the second vdev (consisting of a mirror) from the
zpool, and have ZFS evacuate all the data from the to-be-removed vdev
before we actually remove the disks (or, maybe we simply want to
reconfigure them into another zpool).  In this case, after the drive
remoovals, the zpool would be left with a 100GB capacity, and be a
simple 2-drive mirror.

What you are talking about is replacement of a drive, whether or not it
is actually bad. In your instance, the zpool capacity size remains the
same, and it will return to optimal performance when a new drive is
inserted (and, no, there is no difference between a manual and automatic
"removal" in the case of marking a drive bad for replacement).

-Erik

On Thu, 2007-01-18 at 18:01 -0800, mike wrote:
> what is the technical difference between forcing a removal and an
> actual failure?
>
> isn't it the same process? except one is manually triggered? i would
> assume the same resilvering process happens when a usable drive is put
> back in...
>
> On 1/18/07, Wee Yeh Tan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Not quite.  I suspect you are thinking about drive replacement rather
> > than removal.
> >
> > Drive replacement is already supported in ZFS and the task involves
> > rebuilding data on the disk from data available elsewhere.  Drive
> > removal involves rebalancing data from the target drive to other
> > disks.  The latter is non-trivial.
> >

> > --
> > Just me,
> > Wire ...