Frank Cusack wrote:
On January 20, 2007 1:07:27 PM -0800 "David J. Orman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On that note, I've recently read it might be the case that the 1u sun
servers do not have hot-swappable disk drives... is this really true?

Only for the x2100 (and x2100m2).  It's not that the hardware isn't
hot-swappable, it's that Solaris doesn't support it.  If you run
Windows you will get hot swap.

-frank
I believe this also applies to the X2200 M2 as well. Essentially, all the low-end x64 servers using SATA have Nvidia chipsets which theoretically support Hot-swap of SATA; as noted, the Windows drivers do support this feature, while the Solaris 10 drivers don't (and, I don't know if there are plans to add this feature or not). Personally, I've always been a bit nervous of using chipset-based RAID and expecting Hot-swap to actually, particularly with SATA. I've been bitten on various different (non-Sun) hardware trying this, and it has made me gun-shy of thinking I can actually pull a SATA drive while its mirror is still mounted...

--
Erik Trimble
Java System Support