[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
That said, this definition is not always used consistently, as is the case
with the x2100.  I filed a bug against the docs in this case, and unfortunately
it was closed as "will not fix."  :-(

In the context of a hardware platform it makes little sense to
distinguish between hot-plug and hot-swap.  The distinction is purely
based on the capabilities of the software.

well, back when I tried (in vain) to apply some common terminology to this, there were SCSI backplanes that had sequenced logic-vs-power connections on insert vs. remove, and had "generate an interrupt on insert or remove" capability....and there were backplanes that did not.

The former class was maybe kinda practical to support unassisted "surprise" plugging. The latter made it impossible.

I'm sure no one knows what their hardware capabilities ever are, because the industry has completely failed to come up with sane nomenclature for the hardware capabilities...and then we multiply that confusion by having no sane nomenclature for OS capabilities either, and the OS capabilities are never discussed as though they depend on the hardware, which, of course, they do.