[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
In order to protect the user pages while a DIO is in progress, we want
support from the VM that isn't presently implemented.  To prevent a page
from being accessed by another thread, we have to unmap the TLB/PTE
entries and lock the page.  There's a cost associated with this, as it
may be necessary to cross-call other CPUs.  Any thread that accesses the
locked pages will block.  While it's possible lock pages in the VM
today, there isn't a neat set of interfaces the filesystem can use to
maintain the integrity of the user's buffers.  Without an experimental
prototype to verify the design, it's impossible to say whether overhead
of manipulating the page permissions is more than the cost of bypassing
the cache.

Note also that for most applications, the size of their IO operations
would often not match the current page size of the buffer, causing
additional performance and scalability issues.

- Bart

--
Bart Smaalders                  Solaris Kernel Performance
[EMAIL PROTECTED]               http://blogs.sun.com/barts