Ari-Pekka Oksavuori wrote:
Hi!

I've been testing ZFS, and would like to use it on SAN attached disks in
our production environment, where multiple machines can see the same
zpools. I'm having some concerns about importing/exporting pools on
possible failure situations. If box that was using some zpool crashes
(for example sending break to the host when testing this), I would like
to import that pool on some other host right away. Of course I'll have
to use import -f cause the pool was not exported. Now the other host is
serving the disk, no problem there, but when I boot the crashed host
again, it wants to keep using the pools it previosly had and it doesn't
realize that the pool is now in use by the other host. That leads to two
systems using the same zpool which is not nice.

s/not nice/really really bad/ :-)

Is there any solution to this problem, or do I have to get Sun Cluster
3.2 if I want to serve same zpools from many hosts? We may try Sun
Cluster anyway, but I'd like to know if this can be solved without it.

You can't do it *safely* without the protection of a high-
availability framework such as SunCluster.

best regards,
James C. McPherson
--
Solaris kernel software engineer