On Jan 26, 2007, at 14:43, Gary Mills wrote:

Our Netapp does double-parity RAID.  In fact, the filesystem design is
remarkably similar to that of ZFS.  Wouldn't that also detect the
error?  I suppose it depends if the `wrong sector without notice'
error is repeated each time.  Or is it random?

On most (all?) other systems the parity only comes into effect when a drive fails. When all the drives are reporting "OK" most (all?) RAID systems don't use the parity data at all. ZFS is the first (only?) system that actively checks the data returned from disk, regardless of whether the drives are reporting they're okay or not.

I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong. :)