On Mon, Jan 29, 2007 at 02:39:13PM -0800, roland wrote:
> > # zfs get compressratio
> > NAME       PROPERTY       VALUE      SOURCE
> > pool/gzip  compressratio  3.27x      -
> > pool/lzjb  compressratio  1.89x      -
>
> this looks MUCH better than i would have ever expected for smaller files.
>
> any real-world data how good or bad compressratio goes with lots of very
> small but good compressible files , for example some (evil for those solaris
> evangelists) untarred linux-source tree ?
>
> i'm rather excited how effective gzip will compress here.
>
> for comparison:
>
> sun1:/comptest #  bzcat /tmp/linux-2.6.19.2.tar.bz2 |tar xvf -
> --snipp--
>
> sun1:/comptest # du -s -k *
> 143895  linux-2.6.19.2
> 1       pax_global_header
>
> sun1:/comptest # du -s -k --apparent-size *
> 224282  linux-2.6.19.2
> 1       pax_global_header
>
> sun1:/comptest # zfs get compressratio comptest
> NAME  PROPERTY       VALUE  SOURCE
> comptest tank  compressratio  1.79x  -

Don't start sending me your favorite files to compress (it really should
work about the same as gzip), but here's the result for the above (I found
a tar file that's about 235M uncompressed):

# du -ks linux-2.6.19.2/
80087   linux-2.6.19.2
# zfs get compressratio pool/gzip
NAME       PROPERTY       VALUE      SOURCE
pool/gzip  compressratio  3.40x      -

Doing a gzip with the default compression level (6 -- the same setting I'm
using in ZFS) yields a file that's about 52M. The small files are hurting
a bit here, but it's still pretty good -- and considerably better than LZJB.

Adam

--
Adam Leventhal, Solaris Kernel Development       http://blogs.sun.com/ahl