Urk!

Where is this documented? And - is it something you can do nothing about, or are we ultimately trying to address it somewhere / somehow?

Thanks!!

Nathan.

Bill Moore wrote:
On Wed, Jan 31, 2007 at 05:01:19AM -0800, Tom Buskey wrote:
As a followup, the system I'm trying to use this on is a dual PII 400
with 512MB.  Real low budget.

2 500 GB drives with 2 120 GB in a RAIDZ.  The idea is that I can get
2 more 500 GB drives later to get full capacity.  I tested going from
a 20GB to a 120GB and that worked well.

I'm finding the throughput just isn't there.  < 2MB/s compared to
20MB/s on a similar Linux system.

Anyone else going this low budget?

There are many folks (including myself) that have done similar super-low
budget setups.  Which SATA controller are you using?  If it's the
SI3112, it has a documented problem when you try to use both SATA
channels simultaneously - it gets less than 2MB/s, compared to about
50MB/s on each drive individually.  I'm not sure if the SI3114 has
similar problems, or not.  This may not be your problem, but I know the
SI3112 was popular on machines in that timeframe.

--Bill