> I agree about the usefulness of fbarrier() vs. fsync(), BTW.  The cool
> thing is that on ZFS, fbarrier() is a no-op.  It's implicit after
> every system call.

That is interesting. Could this account for disproportionate kernel
CPU usage for applications that perform I/O one byte at a time, as
compared to other filesystems? (Nevermind that the application
shouldn't do that to begin with.)

But the fact that you effectively have an fbarrier() is extremely
nice. Guess that is yet another reason to prefer ZFS for certrain
(granted, very specific) cases.

I still would love to see something like fbarrier() defined by some
standrd (de facto or otherwise) to make the distinction between
ordered writes and guaranteed persistence more easily exploited in the
general case for applications, and encourage filesystems/storage
systems to optimize for that case (i.e., not have fbarrier() simply
fsync()).

--
/ Peter Schuller

PGP userID: 0xE9758B7D or 'Peter Schuller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>'
Key retrieval: Send an E-Mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED] Web: http://www.scode.org