[i]I create the default storage pool during the install, but then when it
reboots, the hostname/hostid has changed so I need to re-associate the pool. I
know you're frustrated with this stuff, but once you've figured it out it
really is very powerful. :-)[/i]

If you read my contributions, I have no doubt about that. On the contrary.
I do doubt ready acceptance, due to a lack of consistency and backward
compatibility.

So, here is what I have been doing; some parts:
% zfs mount -a
does not mount home
But home exists:
% zpool list
home 28G 2.62G 25.4G 9% ONLINE -
This display is always the same, irrespective of mounted or unmounted. IMHO:
not good.
It does not show the mount point neither. IMHO: not good.
df -h does not show it as mounted. So it is not.
ls -l /export/home confirms this fact.
% zfs mount home /export/home
is very logical to me, not to zfs: too many arguments. IMHO: not good
% zfs mount /export/home
invalid dataset

The problem is obvious: I have the data, but no clue how to glue it to my file
system tree.
Legacy logic and syntax won't work.

man brings another idea: mountpoint=
% zfs set mountpoint=/export/ home
/export/: directory not empty. Right-o.
% zfs set mountpoint=/export/home home
*does* mount; but my 'exit' keeps me at single user: mount -a fails.
Try again:
% mount -a
failed ... mountpoint or dataset busy

I wonder if I am damn stupid from one day to another or simply buried too deep
into legacy file systems; but I never - as long as I can remember -had that
much problem to attach an existing file system to a tree !

There must be someone in SUN who [b]hates[/b] drives ! There are never drives
you can address; up to a high level of sillyness:
As you know I happen to have two home directories, on c0d0s7 and on c0d1s1. Now
whenever I typed
% zpool import
" .... can be imported using name or id"
With duplicate name, 'home' will fail. But also, c0d0s7 fails miserably.
Instead you have to type 19 digits of an arbitrary random number. The most
normal thing would be, to type the location, written just next to the name !