Akhilesh Mritunjai wrote:
I believe that the word would have gone around already, Google engineers have
published a paper on disk reliability. It might supplement the ZFS FMA
integration and well - all the numerous debates on spares etc etc over here.

Good paper.  They validate the old saying, "complex systems fail in complex
ways."
We've also done some internal (Sun) studies which cast doubt on the ability of
SMART
to predict failures.

To quote /.

"The Google engineers just published a paper on Failure Trends in a Large Disk Drive
Population. Based on a study of 100,000 disk drives over 5 years they find some
interesting stuff. To quote from the abstract: 'Our analysis identifies several
parameters from the drive's self monitoring facility (SMART) that correlate highly with
failures. Despite this high correlation, we conclude that models based on SMART
parameters alone are unlikely to be useful for predicting individual drive failures.
Surprisingly, we found that temperature and activity levels were much less correlated
with drive failures than previously reported.'"

Link to the paper is http://labs.google.com/papers/disk_failures.pdf

As for the spares debate, that is easy: use spares :-)
 -- richard