Hello eric,

>> ek> If you were able to send over your complete pool, destroy the
>> ek> existing one and re-create a new one using recv, then that should
>> ek> help with fragmentation.  That said, that's a very poor man's
>> ek> defragger.  The defragmentation should happen automatically or at
>> ek> least while the pool is online.
>>
>> I was rather thinking about sending all file systems to another
>> server/pool (I'm in a middle of the process), then deleting source
>> file systems and send the file systems back. Of course no problem with
>> destroying the pool but I wonder why do you think it's needed? Just
>> deleting file systems won't be enough?

ek> Yeah, destroying the filesystems should be enough (i was equating
ek> destroying all filesystems to a zpool destroy).

>> btw: I've already migrated three file systems that way to x4500 and
>>      so far they are working great - no cpu usage, much less read IOs
>>      (both in # of IO and in volume) and everything is committed
>>      exactly every 5s. So I guess there's high degree of probability
>>      it will stay the same once I migrate them back to cluster.
>>

>> ek> In the absence of a built-in defragger and without a fix for
>> 6495013,
>> ek> i think the best thing you could do is either add more storage or
>> ek> remove some data (such as removing some old snapshots or move some
>> ek> unneeded storage to another system/backup).  Not sure if either of
>> ek> those are applicable to you.
>>
>> Some time ago removing snapshots helped. Then we stopped creating them
>> and not there's nothing really to remove left so I'm doing above.
>>
>> btw: 6495013 - what is it exactly (bugs.opensolaris.org doesn't show
>> it either sunsolve).

ek> Hmm, should be working now:
ek> http://bugs.opensolaris.org/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=6495013

ek> 6495013 Loops and recursion in metaslab_ff_alloc can kill
ek> performance, even on a pool with lots of free data

thanks

I'll ask my case engineer to add a call record for us.

--
Best regards,
 Robert                            mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]