On Sat, Feb 24, 2007 at 11:15:33AM -0800, Tor wrote:
> I have read the FAQ, and it states that encrypted data can't be
> compressed. But is there any point in using compression on my media
> file server, that will store ripped DVD's (which are compressed in
> their default state), our digital photos (JPEG - also compressed) and
> HD files (mostly .ts (transport stream) - also a form of
> compressionI). In other words can ZFS compress compressed files? Or
> should I just forget about having compression enabled?

You can't compress encrypted files -- being able to would indicate that
the crypto is broken.

You can't compress already-compressed data.

Not all data can be compressed by a given algorithm.

Turning on compression for some ZFS filesystem and then writing
pre-compresed or encrypted data to that filesystem will only waste CPU
cycles though -- ZFS will try to compress the data, fail to get a good
enough compression ratio, and then store the data without compression.

Nico