Jens Elkner wrote:
Currently I'm trying to figure out the best zfs layout for a thumper wrt. to read AND write performance.

First things first.  What is the expected workload?  Random, sequential, lots of
little files, few big files, 1 Byte iops, synchronous data, constantly changing
access times, ???

In general, striped mirror is the best bet for good performance with redundancy.

I did some simple mkfile 512G tests and found out, that per average ~ 500 MB/s
seems to be the maximum on can reach (tried initial default setup, all 46 HDDs
as R0, etc.).

How many threads?  One mkfile thread may be CPU bound.
 -- richard

According to
http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/DownloadableAssets/ArchitectureWP_062806.pdf
 I would assume, that much more and at least in theory a max. ~ 2.5 GB/s should
be possible with R0 (assuming the throughput for a single thumper HDD is ~ 54
MB/s)...

Is somebody able to enlighten me?

Thanx,
jel.