While the snapshot isn't RW, the clone is and would certainly be helpful
in this case....

Isn't the whole idea to:

0) boot into single-user/boot-archive if you're paranoid (or just quiess
and clone if you feel lucky)
1) "clone" the primary OS instance+relevant-slices & boot into the
primary OS
2) apply "alternate root" patches to the cloned file systems (leaving
the original OS COMPLETELY UNTOUCHED)
        (run a DTRACE watch-dog to make sure bugs in patch
pre/post-install don't act against the primary OS instead
                of the alternate root.... (this would NEVER happen would
it????))
3) add entries for the cloned file system in GRUB, making them a valid
boot option
        (possibly clean up a few /etc/vfstab path issues in the cloned
FS while we're at it)

Boot the clone, or backout to the original ( by booting that menu
option) if not 100% happy...

If you're happy on the clone say after a week, "zfs promote" the clone
to become the primary.
        ((grub gets cleaned up accordingly so its not confused) and your
backout option is GONE/recycled)

    (Wait, we haven't used live-upgrade yet... What to do?)

Thoughts on this scenario working for the zfs-boot initial release?

Thanks,

 -- MikeE