It looks like the following bug is still open:

   6424510 usb ignores DKIOCFLUSHWRITECACHE

Until it is fixed, I wouldn't even consider using ZFS on USB storage.
Even so, not all bridge boards (Firewire included) implement this
command.  Unless you can verify that it functions correctly, it is
safer to avoid USB and Firewire all together, as you risk serious
corruption in the event of a power loss.  This holds true for any
filesystem.

Another good reason is that scrubs and rebuilds will take a long time.
Unfortunately, I don't think that port multipliers are yet supported
in the SATA framework, so probably the best bet is a large enclosure
with internal SATA disks.

Chris