Adam Leventhal wrote:
On Tue, Mar 20, 2007 at 06:01:28PM -0400, Brian H. Nelson wrote:
Why does this happen? Is it a bug? I know there is a recommendation of 20% free space for good performance, but that thought never occurred to me when this machine was set up (zvols only, no zfs proper).

It sounds like this bug:

  6430003 record size needs to affect zvol reservation size on RAID-Z

Adam

Could be, but 6429996 sounds like a more likely candidate: zvols don't reserve enough space for requisite meta data.

I can create some large files (2GB) and the 'available' space only decreases by .01-.04GB for each file. The raidz pool is 7x36GB disks, with the default 8k volblocksize. Would/should 6430003 affect me? I don't understand what determines "minimum allocatable size" and the number of 'skipped' sectors for a given situation.

Either way, my main concern is that I can address the problem so that the same situation does not reoccur. Are there workarounds for these bugs? How can I determine how much space needs to be reserved? How much (if any) of the remaining free space could be used for an additional zvol (with its own allocation of reserved space)?

Thanks,
Brian